Everything You Need To Know About Electric Skateboard Trucks
Jul 06, 2023
- Unveiling the Diversity
- Decoding Dimensions
- The Tapestry of FeaturesConclusion
- Choosing the Perfect Electric Skateboard Trucks
Electric skateboard trucks, the vital metal components that link the wheels and the deck of an electric skateboard, hold the key to steering, stability, and overall performance. Within this enlightening blog post, we delve into the depths of electric skateboard trucks, exploring their various types, sizes, distinctive features, and the art of selecting the perfect ones to complement your riding style.
Unveiling the Diversity
Types of Electric Skateboard Trucks The realm of electric skateboard trucks presents us with two dominant categories: the conventional standard trucks and the intriguing reverse kingpin trucks. Standard trucks boast an inward-facing kingpin, firmly securing the truck's components at the center of the board. On the other hand, reverse kingpin trucks exhibit an outward-facing kingpin, enticingly positioned away from the board's core.
Standard trucks are commonly associated with traditional skateboards, offering unparalleled stability and responsiveness, particularly at higher velocities. Their domain lies in downhill ventures, artful carving, and enjoyable cruising. Conversely, reverse kingpin trucks reign supreme in the realm of electric skateboards, bestowing enhanced turning radius and maneuverability at lower speeds. With an affinity for freestyle exploits, graceful carving, and seamless commuting, these trucks captivate the adventurous souls.
Sizes of Electric Skateboard Trucks The dimensions of electric skateboard trucks are judiciously measured by the width of their hangers—the very components that embrace the axles and wheels. Achieving optimal equilibrium and control necessitates aligning the hanger width as closely as possible with that of your deck. Notably, the most prevalent hanger widths for electric skateboards are 150mm, 180mm, and 200mm.
150mm trucks cater harmoniously to decks spanning a width of 7.5 to 8.5 inches. These trucks effortlessly accommodate narrower boards, granting unparalleled agility and swift turns. On the other hand, 180mm trucks are tailored to decks measuring 8.5 to 10 inches in width, embodying a perfect marriage between stability and maneuverability for medium-sized boards. Meanwhile, 200mm trucks, harmoniously suited to decks exceeding 10 inches in width, cater to broader boards, guaranteeing an optimal blend of stability and smoothness.
The Tapestry of Features
Electric Skateboard Trucks Unveiled The enigmatic realm of electric skateboard trucks unravels a tapestry of distinctive features that sets them apart from their conventional counterparts. Among these remarkable features, we encounter:
- Motor mounts: These metallic brackets seamlessly integrate with the hanger, securely housing the motors in their rightful place. The designs may vary, encompassing both fixed and adjustable mounts, depending on the specific truck and motor under consideration.
- Bushings: Nestled within the truck's core, these rubber or urethane cushions possess the power to resist and rebound during the art of turning. Their malleability can be tailored to personal preferences and individual riding styles, ranging from soft to hard compositions.
- Baseplates: These metallic plates form the bridge between the deck and the truck, diligently anchoring the latter in position. The angles of these baseplates are carefully curated, contributing to the truck's unique turning response and overall performance.
- Risers: Acting as a protective buffer, these plastic or rubber pads provide additional clearance and shock absorption, effortlessly nestled between the baseplate and the deck. The preference for flat or angled risers is dictated by one's riding style and personal inclinations.
Choosing the Perfect Electric Skateboard Trucks
Embarking on the quest for the ideal electric skateboard trucks entails careful consideration of several pivotal factors, including deck size, riding style, budgetary constraints, and personal preferences. Here, we present a set of general guidelines tofacilitate your decision-making process:
- For decks ranging from 7.5 to 8.5 inches in width, opt for 150mm standard trucks, ensuring heightened stability and unwavering responsiveness, particularly during high-speed endeavors.
- When maneuvering medium-sized decks spanning 8.5 to 10 inches in width, embrace the prowess of 180mm reverse kingpin trucks. These gems offer an expanded turning radius and enhanced maneuverability at lower speeds, delivering a captivating experience for freestyle maneuvers, graceful carving, and effortless commuting.
- Should you find yourself aboard a wide deck surpassing the 10-inch mark, the epitome of stability and silk-like smoothness awaits in the form of 200mm reverse kingpin trucks. Embrace their unwavering presence as they seamlessly navigate the terrain beneath your feet.
Now, let us delve further into the intricacies of riding styles and tailor our truck choices accordingly:
- For those who thrive on downhill adrenaline rushes, exhilarating carving, or serene cruising, standard trucks paired with firm bushings, low baseplate angles, and flat risers reign supreme. These elements amalgamate to grant unrivaled stability and razor-sharp responsiveness during high-speed escapades.
- If your riding style encompasses the realms of freestyle artistry, graceful carving, or seamless commuting, reverse kingpin trucks become your trusted companions. Choose trucks adorned with soft bushings, high baseplate angles, and angled risers to unlock a realm of heightened turning radius and unrivaled maneuverability at lower speeds.
Now, let us embark upon the road paved with budgetary considerations:
- A modest budget need not deprive you of the joys bestowed by electric skateboard trucks. Embrace standard trucks complemented by fixed motor mounts, offering an affordable and straightforward option without compromising on quality.
- Should your budget possess the flexibility to accommodate it, venture into the realm of reverse kingpin trucks adorned with adjustable motor mounts. The allure of versatility and customization beckons, promising an experience tailored to your precise desires and preferences.
Electric skateboard trucks stand as guardians of your e-board setup, wielding the power to influence steering, stability, and overall performance. By immersing yourself in the vast knowledge surrounding their types, sizes, distinctive features, and the art of selection in harmony with deck dimensions and riding style, you unlock a gateway to the realm of electric skateboard trucks tailored specifically to your unique needs. Embrace the journey and embrace the electrifying wonders of e-skating!